As a property owner, you should make sure that you are able to interact with your tenant positively. A move-in walkthrough is one of the best times for you to be able to do just that. The move-in walkthrough offers you and your tenant many benefits. Let’s look at these benefits for property owners and a few best practices for making the most of your move-in walkthrough.
Rethinking the Move-In Walkthrough
Too often, the move-in walkthrough is viewed as more of a tenant’s responsibility than something a landlord does. A move-in walkthrough does provide, though, benefits to both parties. As such, it should be considered carefully! There should be a walkthrough at both move-in and move-out. What is this, you may ask? Basically, a move-in walkthrough is looking through the entire property with the goal of identifying (if any) potential problems or repairs needed before the tenant moves in.
There’s a good reason why Goose Creek property managers should take a move-in walkthrough seriously. Here are some good reasons as to why — two, to be exact.
- It can further establish trust between you and your new tenant. When you walk through a property with your tenant, you are showing your interest in keeping your investment in good shape and hear out your tenant’s feedback, if any. Tenants will be more open to reporting small issues immediately if they know that their landlord responds positively. In the bigger picture, this helps reduce repair costs. During this time, you can even discuss the “house rules” with your renter again. In your dealings with your tenants, make sure you think about how you can foster a relationship that is transparent and healthy.
- It helps in being exact with the deductions from the deposit at the end of the lease. To foster a smooth and hassle-free move-out time, you need good documentation of your property’s condition before your tenant moves in. This can help you better gauge wear and tear and other repair issues and provide ample evidence to support any deductions you make from your tenant’s security deposit.
Walkthrough Best Practices
To really experience the full range of benefits that come with a move-in walkthrough, make sure you follow best practices. Such as:
- Schedule a walkthrough with your tenant. If it is possible, have a scheduled move-in walkthrough with your new tenant. This is a great chance for you to bond with your new tenant and establish good rapport through face-to-face interaction!
- Use a checklist. It’s important that you give your tenant a move-in checklist, and that you look at it together. Make sure that your tenant receives a hard copy of this checklist. Doing this will give the positive impression that you are being very clear with the expectations between you and your tenant.
- Take photos. Any issues should be documented through pictures so that they can be properly recorded and addressed. Pictures are a good way to schedule repairs and as a reference for comparison during the eventual move-out walkthrough.
Move-in walkthroughs may take time, but they are essential. If your property is not nearly accessible to you, you should be able to make the most out of a walkthrough. With help, however, from someone who knows exactly what to do in these kinds of situations, it can be hassle and stress-free. At Real Property Management Charleston, we provide a full range of services that help rental property owners make the most of their investments. Call 843-900-4061 today to learn more!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.